Visual, simple and almost purely mobile, Instagram has become one of the most effective social media platforms for businesses. We’ve laid out a few tips on how to get the most out of your Instagram profile, whether you’re just starting out or trying to expand your audience.
- Hashtags: Hashtags have taken over the Internet. TV shows broadcast the chosen phrase of the night to create conversations online and countless brands have started revolving campaigns around predetermined hashtags. Because of Instagram’s search format, hashtags are really the most effective way to bring in a new audience.
- Consistency is key when choosing hashtags. You want to include the phrases people are going to be searching for, especially when trying to increase your audience. So be sure to check out what others in your industry have used. Also keep an eye on bigger trends that transcend businesses.
- Instagram users have organically created a 7-day hashtag system, providing different options to play along each day, with varying levels of success. Some have millions of posts, the most popular being #ThrowbackThursday (or #tbt) with almost 200 million individual posts. Hyperlinks Media has a great rundown of the different daily options.
Take part in popular hashtag trends like #WellnessWednesday
- Perspective: One of the great things about Instagram is that it allows its user to find the beauty and specialness in ordinary events and items. The possibilities on what to highlight are endless, so be sure to switch up your perspective and showcase everything that makes your company unique! Feature customers, behind-the-scenes antics and even your neighborhood. Images and videos are a great way to display personality.
- The various filter options Instagram provides also allow you to put a cool spin on your picture, or try tagging it #nofilter when you want to emphasize unedited natural beauty.
- Don’t forget to geo-tag your pictures so your followers know how to find you!
Have fun with your images and show off some personality
- Frequency: There’s a fine line between flooding your follower’s feeds and fading away from their memory. Try to post 1-3 times a day with unique pictures or videos.
- Simplicity: Instagram thrives off its simplicity. You can only upload new content and search from a mobile device. There is also a browser version, which is great for liking and commenting on your own pictures and those you already follow. But the mobile emphasis ensures quick and easy access to your audience and vice versa.
- Engage!: Engagement with followers is always the most important aspect of any successful social media account. Here is a great opportunity to reach consumers directly, to acknowledge their concerns and create an open dialogue with them. Make sure to follow people, comment on others’ posts and keep track of any relevant hashtags.
- There is also a great direct messaging option to speak to consumers one-on-one.
Answer questions and be personable in the comments
Added bonus: Instagram posts are extremely easy to share with other platforms, especially Facebook. Taking advantage of this feature can lead even more people to your profile!
Share your Instagram username in the comments below and we’ll follow you!